Health at Every Size ® is a well-researched approach to health that was started about 30 years ago by Linda Bacon. Health at Every Size® acknowledges body diversity and is accepting of all body shapes and sizes; It is not anti-health. What health at Every Size® means is, “my attitude towards health is to pursue health behaviours, like eating vegetables, eating intuitively, managing stress, sleeping well, walking, pursuing joyful movement that make me feel good. It is about doing things that actually help me care for my body, irrespective of its’ size”.
Health at Every Size is non-judgemental and all inclusive. The basic principle is NOT that everyone can be healthy at every size. This is not possible, both thin and fat people can be healthy or sick. The basic principle IS that everyone can pursue basic healthful behaviours that make them feel good and live well. Health is not a privilege for thin people. Anybody can be healthy too by adopting health behaviours, irrespective of body shape or size. Equally we do not need to pursue weight loss to be healthy. Weight is not a behaviour, nor is it a measure of our self-worth.
The foundation principles of the Health at Every Size® paradigm are:
- Weight Inclusive: Accept and respect the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and reject the idealising of specific weights.
- Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalise access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.
- Respectful Care: Acknowledge our biases, and work to end weight discrimination, weight stigma, and weight bias. Provide information and services from an understanding that socio-economic status, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other identities impact weight stigma, and support environments that address these inequities.
- Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualised eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.
- Life-Enhancing Movement: Support physical activities that allow people of all sizes, abilities, and interests to engage in enjoyable movement, to the degree that they choose.
At Toss the Scales our nutritional therapy program is rooted in these principles. We accept and respect all people of all sizes. We listen, acknowledge and respect the lived experience, without judgement. We encompass all aspects of health into our program, not just food and exercise. We promote flexible and enjoyable eating patterns based on your individual values. We firmly believe that exercise should be for enjoyment, for making us feel fabulous; how we want to move our bodies is different for everyone.
Our mission is to help you overcome weight stigma and yo-yo dieting. To beat the dieting mindset and stop your food cravings and the “out of control feeling” around food. To support you to love yourself and your body again, so you can enjoy your life to the fullest and be the healthiest version of you.