Accepting your body exactly as it is the hardest part of the journey to break free from dieting. This is what we call body positive. When your body image is positive you can accept, appreciate and respect your body. This does not necessarily mean that you will not feel insecure about your body, or that you will think your body is perfect. It means that you will be able to recognise those insecurities, why you have them and you will be able to start to accept that your body is perfect for you. Even if right now you think you cannot accept your body size and shape at all, you can start to think about caring for your body. Start to practice self-care and start to engage in health behaviours that will benefit your body, whatever the size.
Here are 5 tips to help you start to be more body positive;
- Stop being mean to yourself in front of the mirror. Try to avoid negative self talk and focus more on what your body can do, rather that what it looks like.
- Stop thinking your looks are more important that how you feel. Sure we all want to look nice and feel attractive, but try not to focus too much on aesthetics.. Incorporate some healthy behaviours into your life and everything will balance itself naturally with time.
- Stop thinking you don’t matter because of your body size. let’s stop defining our self-worth by our body shape and size. Stop the constant war with your body and make peace. Remember you matter now and you are good enough now.
- Stop thinking you are not in the body you are supposed to have. You are in the best body for you , so let your body guide you to take care of yourself.
- Stop letting the number on the scales or your dress size define you. You are more than just a number. It matters how you feel inside, not just how you look on the outside.